Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Movie List

Some movies are good, some movies are nostalgically awesome and must be loved by all when mentioned because they were previously forgotten.  I got into a convo last night with some friends about great movies of our childhood (and great tv shows) which I am going to try to recreate now.  Poorly.  I'll be checking out the Haji shops to see which compilations exist.  You'd be surprised what shows up on a dvd-looking thing full of 32 movies.  I'll post pics at the end of the post.

I don't recall which flick kicked it off, but I think we were talking about the animated shorts at the beginning of Pixar movies and started working back from there.  I should caveat we're not neccesarily looking for the obvious 'best movies' of the 80s or early 90s, this was more a nostalgic treasure hunt if you will.

1.  The best Disney movie ever is the Lion King (Kristin)
2. Ok but the ones from our childhood were awesome too like, the Rescuers, The original Parent Trap or anything Hallie Mills was in, Aladdin, Mulan, Robin Hood, then newer ones like Toy Story, Monsters Inc or Finding Nemo
3. Muppets everything?  I especially love Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island
4. Into TV shows we went, quickly: He-Man, Smurfs, Snorks, Gummy Bears, TGIF and SNICK lineups (Family Matters, Full House, Perfect Strangers, Dinosaurs, Step by Step, and I'm missing something), (Are you Afraid of the Dark, Roundhouse, All That, Clarissa Explains it All)
5. I have to admit I'm a bit hazy at this point, but I know a bunch of amazing films like Gremlins, Batteries Not Included, Short Circuit, Tremors, Indiana Jones (thumbs down to them making a 5th one since Crystal Skulls was sub-par), The Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator
6. Then I mentioned, and I think everyone should know this - that the American Film Institute's Silver Theater is in Silver Springs, MD and plays all sorts of crazy shit, including, when I first got to DC, Muppets movies for their Jim Henson theme, then later the original 3 Indy movies as part of a Spielberg theme.  It's worth checking out if you live nearby.
7.  Sarah says that apparently in Austin, TX they do a movies on the river thingy where you float in tubes while they play Deep Blue Sea and Jaws themed films.  Lovely.
8.  Followed by a promise on my part to buy as many of these as Haji Films for $2 at the shop if possible today.  Fun!  I guess that means I have to wake up and walk to the cadillac to grab a shower.  More to come.

1 comments:

Shannon Corbeil said...

Salute Your Shorts. Hey Dude. My Little Ponies. Land Before Time. Rugrats. Doug. Good call on the "All Things Disney". Mary Martin "Peter Pan" (DON'T PRETEND LIKE I'M THE ONLY ONE!!!)