Sunday, December 13, 2009

Camel Spider Jr.

Expeditionary reporter slash photojournalist slash entomologist Kristin Russell took one step closer this week to discovering the legendary Camel Spider, or Syndaesia sp.  

At a meeting over tea with some Iraqi counterparts in the Kurdish Capital of Erbil (it would be Irbil on our maps, but I defer to their spelling...) a terrifyingly fast, although not camel-looking, spider appeared from under a leather couch, proceeded to sit still for a few minutes, then ran directly at my boots, then under the couch I was sitting on.  This caused a little panic as I pictured it scurrying up my pants leg and plunging its sword like jaws into my jugular, but I managed to sit still and focused on the tasty tea biscuits and pistachios instead.  Also, I made up what the guys were saying in arabic.  

See specimin below.  Lindsay, do I get half credit for this one?  It was impressive enough that the Iraqi guy on the couch asked for a copy of the pic.  My zoom isn't that amazing, so this thing was about the size of a silver half dollar.  You know, the ones with Kennedy on the front that you have like 50 of and don't know what to do with?


0 comments: